Rare opportunity to sample the wine and hear from the Hamilton Russell Vineyards owner! These are exquisite, hard to find wines by one of our own Whartonites!
Get whisked away to South Africa (virtually) by Anthony Hamilton Russell, WG'90 who, along with his wife, Olive, runs two upscale, award-winning vineyards - Hamilton Russell Vineyards and Southern Right Vineyards. They are among the most southerly wine estates in Africa and closest to the sea – pioneered viticulture and winemaking in the beautiful, cool, maritime Hemel-en-Aarde Valley appellation, just behind the old fishing village of Hermanus.
Hamilton Russell wines have been listed by Wine Spectator on their Top 100 Wines of the World, and are the choice of South African Presidents when entertaining visiting heads of state. The Estate specializes in producing highly individual, terroir-driven Pinot noir and Chardonnay, which are widely regarded as the best in South Africa and among the finest in the New World. Tiny yields and intense worldwide demand keep the elegant, highly individual, Estate grown Pinot noir and Chardonnay in very short supply.
Southern Right Vineyards is a small Pinotage and Sauvignon blanc specialist located on a strikingly beautiful 448 ha property. Founded by Anthony Hamilton Russell in 1994, Southern Right's aim was to produce a serious, age-worthy Pinotage (South Africa’s unique red grape variety) combining a distinct South African fruit and flavor expression with classic styling and refinement. The Sauvignon blanc remains a local and international best-seller with its classic, tight minerality complementing the prominent varietal fruit. It has been rated best South African Sauvignon blanc in the Wall Street Journal and has been listed as one of South Africa’s best wine values four times in the Wine Spectator. Southern Right is also home to more than 200 hectares of pristine Cape Mountain Fynbos which forms part of their private nature reserve.
Anthony will take us on a tour of his lovely estate while tantalizing our taste buds with a sampling of wines from the vineyard's offering. During the event, we will not only hear about the wines and the vineyard but also about the state of business in South Africa as a result of this unprecedented year, as well as social and community issues.
How to participate in the virtual wine tasting
- Purchase a Wine Tasting ticket to attend the event and hear the story.
- If you want to drink the wine as Anthony leads us through each bottle's fascinating narrative, you are in luck! We have arranged to make the wine available to you. You will want to purchase one of the Wine Package Tickets below.
- $115 - Russell Hamilton Wine Package: a bottle of each - Pinot Noir and Chardonnay
- $70 - Southern Right Wine Package: a bottle of each - Pinotage and Sauvignon blanc
** Wine is limited!! Wine package ticket includes 2 bottles of wine, taxes and shipping. Wine will be ordered twice: May 10 and May 17 at the rates above, quantities permitting.
DEADLINE to purchase wine at these prices is May 17 at midnight (or until the supply runs out). Afterward, if wine remains you can order up until May 21 with express shipping at $150 more.
- FREE - Event Only (click button below)
- $115 - Event PLUS Russell Hamilton Wine Package
- $70 - Event PLUS Southern Right Wine Package
- $15 - Event Only
- $130 - Event PLUS Russell Hamilton Wine Package
- $85 - Event PLUS Southern Right Wine Package
Extra Wine Packages (must order one Event package first to get extra wine packages):
- $115 - Russell Hamilton Wine Package
- $70 - Southern Right Wine Package
If you are not a member, we would love to have you join or renew.
If you are an active member and are having difficulty logging in, read PennKey info.